Hi I'm Liz Donnelly, the person behind the Eardrops stories.
When my son had glue ear as a preschooler he didn't hear properly for a while. Once we fixed his ears I wanted to help him learn what things really sounded like, rather than the muffled sounds and words he had been hearing.
There were no stories that focussed on listening to sounds and hearing words clearly. Madness, I hear you say. Doesn't every child need to hear these sounds and learn the language to describe them? I agree - and right there was the seed of the idea that some time later became Eardrops.
I was working at TVNZ (New Zealand's national broadcaster) in Children's Media roles at the time and had just completed a Masters in Media. This degree included a block of research into preschoolers and how they use different types of media. Yes, kids media is my 'thing'! I have honed my craft over many years and am committed to continued deep learning in this area so I can continue to produce artisan stories of real value for your children.
So that's a small part of my story. I love the way Eardrops helps me share in your stories now too and would love to connect with you.
5 things you might also like to know:
- I won an AMP Scholarship in 2016 and am so pleased to be able to now produce eardrops in Te Reo Maori. High five!
- I have 3 children and a UK born partner. I grew up in the country and now live in Auckland. My beloved has come to terms with the fact his children have Kiwi accents.
- I was a preschool Mum for 15 years.* Sleep deprivation, much?! (*except for 1 year when my firstborn was 5)
- I needed to learn how to ask for help. These years while our children are young are so precious but its a time when we need so much support, right?! I am determined to create things that truly help parents of young children.
- I spent 5 years as a contributing writer for 'Littlies' parenting magazine and wrote on a variety of topics, including how we develop a sense of humour (its learned) and how to listen (takes practice). Click the magazine logos below for more.
come and explore with me on Instagram its my new favourite place (@eardrops_)